Another gluten-free recipe made during our 1 week of babysitting 3 boys in addition to our 4 kids! Vermicelli rice noodles with beef and saiad and other healthy stuff. Yum! One of my favorites!
(Gosh, I wish all languages were like Vietnamese. Mono-syllabic languages are awesome [that’s, languages with only one-syllable words]! Look how short the title would be if it was just in Vietnamese!)
Anyway, I digress. Here’s the recipe:
Yummy red meat! Get your hands dirty and mix with your hands. That way, you guarantee a better mix than with a spoon.
When you’re not able to grill (we only have a balcony and you’re not allowed to grill on a balcony like ours), get a grill pan! It’s the next best thing.
Opaqueness is how you know your rice noodles are ready to be strained.
Chop, chop, and chop some more. There’s a lot of chopping. Then put it all together. Voila!
Bun Bo Nuong
Servings: 6 adults (or in my case, 7 kids and 2 adults)
- 2 lbs of top sirloin beef, sliced thinly into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bag rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3 handfuls of beans sprouts
- 6 sprigs of mint, leaves picked
- 2 cucumbers, julienned and sliced small
- Put first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hand. Yes, your bare hand, until thoroughly mixed.
- Get greased grill or grill pan hot.
- Add meat and grill till cooked. (Do in batches if necessary. Don’t overload the grill pan.)
- In the meantime, boil hot water.
- Add rice vermicelli till opaque. Strain and rinse in cold water.
- Also in the meantime, chop and slice the vegetables if you haven’t done so.
- And also in the meantime, make your fish sauce dressing by mixing the following together.
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Add rice noodles, lettuce, bean sprouts, mint leaves, and cucumbers into bowl. Add meat.
- Spoon a little of the fish sauce at a time, to your taste, over meat mixture and mix all together.
- Add sriracha or chili garlic sauce if you want it spicy. Enjoy!